Office or administrative assistants make sure everything in the office is in place. They play a vital role in business and help its operations to be efficient. Does this sound like your target job? Secure this post by letting us help you make a strong resume. Use our administrative assistant resume example as a guide to writing yours. Our resume templates will show you what you must and must not put in your resume. Thus, you can write a powerful one that will help you win the job.
Administrative Assistant as a Career
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics states that in 2016, admin assistants held about 4 million jobs. Since almost every industry needs an admin assistant, you should do your part in making sure you stand out from other job seekers. Now, you may ask: How much should an administrative assistant be paid? The median pay for admin assistants is at $38,957 per year and $15.41 per hour.
With all these in mind, read on and learn more about the roles of an admin assistant.
What are the main duties of an administrative assistant?
Before you even apply for a job as an admin assistant, check your credentials to know if you fit the job. That said, assess yourself and see if you qualify for this job post.
What qualifications do you need to be an admin assistant?
- High school diploma or equivalent; college degree preferred
- Proven admin or assistant experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Adept in MS Office
- Excellent time management skills
Now, what are the job descriptions of an administrative assistant? Refer to this list of some of the roles you would take on:
- Maintain contact lists
- Answer and direct phone calls
- Provide support to visitors
- Assist in making regular reports
- Prepare and monitor invoices
- Write letters and emails on behalf of other office staff
- Carry out admin duties such as filing, typing, copying, binding, scanning, etc.
- Maintain up-to-date employee holiday records
- Manage staff appointments
The abovementioned details should be included in a job-winning administrative assistant resume example.
What skills does an administrative assistant need?
Aside from knowing the credentials you need for this job and the main duties you should perform, you should also be armed with a strong skill set. With that, here are the top skills of admin assistants you need to have:
- Great communication skills. Admin assistants often have to interact with employers, staff, and clients either in person, through email, or on the phone.
- Technical skills. Admin employees need to operate various tools such as MS Office Suite, WordPress, online scheduling programs, and office equipment such as faxes, printers, and scanners.
- Organizational skills. Being organized allows admin staff to manage their calendars and appointment schedules among others.
- Planning skills. Part of the role of an admin assistant is to plan and schedule things in advance through setting appointments and creating office procedural plans.
- Problem-solving skills. Admin assistants need to attend to client questions and problems with urgency and professionalism.
However, it’s not enough that you know these skills to land the job. Stay ahead of the job hunt game by knowing the top qualities of a good admin assistant. What are the qualities of a good administrative assistant?
- Keen on details
Administrative Assistant Resume Sample
Now that you know the main duties, top skills, and qualities this job asks for, how do you write them down on your resume? Read on and let our administrative assistant resume serve as your guide on how your resume should look like.
What Makes an Administrative Assistant Resume Example Work
It’s more than rewarding to write your own resume. However, it can get tedious if you don’t know where to start. That said, heed our tried and tested resume tips to learn how to craft a strong admin assistant resume that’ll help you guarantee callbacks.
1. Write a strong career summary with powerful keywords.
Don’t put an administrative assistant objective on top of your resume since it’s obsolete. Instead, write a clear and strong administrative assistant resume summary which will serve as your elevator pitch.
As you can see on the administrative assistant resume example above, Amy Brown used powerful keywords which are relative to her target job. These words are hands-on, efficient, and accomplishing multiple tasks which are targeted for the job.
2. Highlight your professional experience.
This resume section is vital. Hence, it’s best for you to focus on your career highlights. Not all recruiters read everything on resumes, so be direct and show your value offers.
Amy’s work history revolves around customer service, but she has transferable skills and experiences she can bring as an admin assistant. Some of them are carrying out admin tasks such as staff-update drafting and taking charge of daily inventory tracking.
3. Use action verbs in your work history.
To ensure a striking resume, don’t settle for a generic description of how you are as an employee. Instead, quantify your achievements. This gives recruiters a better grasp of what sets you apart from the others.
Further, use action verbs to detail your work history. Like the administrative assistant resume example, you can use the following words to talk about your experiences and career highlights.
A. Leading a team or project
- Took charge
4. List your technical skills.
List down your technical acumen to serve as support for your work history. This further states your expertise.
As seen on the resume sample, Amy listed her technical acumen in programs and platforms and ticketing systems among others.
Get a Resume Makeover Today!
If you’re unsure of your resume writing skills, don’t force yourself to go through the process of creating your own. Fret no more! Let the experts do the job for you. Aside from the best administrative assistant resume example, Resume Professional Writers also offers the best resume writing services that suit your job needs. Give your resume a makeover now and land 3x more job interviews in no time!