Data scientists play a key role in business and information technology. They gather large amounts of data to analyze and synthesize into actionable plans. Sounds like a job you want to pursue? To secure a job as a data scientist, you must be armed with a powerful job search tool. So, how can you ensure a strong resume? Let us help you land your target job by reviewing our data scientist resume examples.
What are the Responsibilities of a Data Scientist?
As per Payscale, the median data scientist salary is at $91,168 a year. This is almost twice the median pay in the US which is at $46,800 as stated by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Obviously, the demand for data scientist jobs is more challenging.
So, to be more equipped for your job search, check and review your qualifications to know if you fit the job. Assess yourself if you qualify for this job:
- Experience using statistical computer languages (Python, SLQ, R, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets
- Excellent written and oral communication skills for coordinating across teams
- Knowledge of and experience working with and creating data architectures
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts
What do data scientists do? Some of their roles are to:
- Extract and assess data from databases to drive improvement of product development, business strategies and processes, and marketing tactics;
- Develop custom algorithms and models for data set applications;
- Assess the accuracy and effectiveness of new and existing data sources and data analysis techniques; and
- Build company A/B testing frameworks to test model quality.
Data Scientist Resume Examples
Now that you know the tasks and qualifications for this job, are you ready to write your own data science resume? Use our data scientist resume examples to guide you on how yours should look like.
How Do I Write a Data Scientist Resume?
In writing your resume, consider what makes one effective. Your resume must be the key to land your target job. With that, heed these top resume tips.
1. Craft a striking data scientist resume summary.
Instead of writing a career objective which is already obsolete, start strong with a compelling summary. This part is vital since this is the first thing recruiters see when they examine resumes.
As you can see on the sample above, Amy detailed her qualifications using powerful resume keywords: forward-thinking, multifaceted, and result-oriented.
2. Use action verbs in your work history.
On our data scientist resume sample, Amy used took charge of and oversaw to describe some of her work experiences. This helps recruiters assess if your experiences are aligned with what the job post requires.
To guide you, here are some of the power verbs and resume keywords you can use:
3. Mention your career highlights.
In your work history, talk about your achievements and contributions. This lets recruiters see what makes you stand out from the pile of resumes they scan each day.
Amy listed her career highlights by using keywords as well. These include expertly developed and played an integral role.
4. List your technical and soft skills.
As seen on the resume sample, Amy presented her technical acumen to support her work history.
To give you an idea on what makes a good data scientist, refer to this list of the data scientist skills you must have:
- Collaboration skills. Data scientists often work with teams in multiple projects so being able to collaborate well is a must.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Related to collaboration skills, data science employees need to have great communication skills for effective project completion.
- Technical skills. Data scientists must possess experiences and skills in programming, debugging, Python, PERL, VB, and NoSQL to name a few.
- Problem-solving skills. Data scientists need to attend to business needs, data analysis, and to execute plans and proposals for companies and firms.
- Data extraction, transformation, and loading skills. These are vital to extract data from multiple sources and transform them for storing in a proper format and structure for data analysis.
With all these in mind, how will you display your skills on your resume? Again, check the data scientist job description and the skills needed for this job. Now, take a look at yours. Highlight and add those that you have and were mentioned by the job posting. Further, add a few more which you think will make you stand out.
Hire a Resume Writer Today!
Writing your own resume may be rewarding. However, if you’re unsure of your writing skills, you don’t have to go through this tedious task. You can seek help from the experts! Aside from the best data scientist resume examples, Resume Professional Writers also offers the best resume writing services tailored to your job search needs. So, what are you waiting for? Get a resume makeover now and land 3x more job interviews in no time!